"It's time to end the silence. It's time to talk constructively about mental health with young people. It's time to say it out loud."
The "Say It Out Loud" tool-kit is free to download: www.nami.org/sayitoutloud.
- A narrated presentation for adult facilitators about youth mental health.
- A 5-minute video of three teens sharing personal experiences and addressing the 10 most common warning signs of mental health problems.
- A discussion guide for adult facilitators with step-by-step instructions for running a successful teen discussion.
- Fact sheets
The 10 Warning Signs
- Feeling very sad, withdrawn or unmotivated for more than two weeks.
- Making plans or trying to harm or kill oneself.
- Out-of-control, risk-taking behaviors.
- Sudden overwhelming fear for no reason, sometimes with a racing heart or fast breathing.
- Not eating, throwing up or using laxatives to lose weight; significant weight loss or weight gain.
- Severe mood swings causing problems in relationships.
- Excess use of drugs or alcohol.
- Drastic changes in behavior, personality or sleeping habits.
- Extreme difficulty in concentrating or staying still.
- Intense worries or fears getting in the way of daily activities like hanging out with friends or going to classes.
"We need to reach out to teens who are looking for guidance or who themselves are leaders among their peers."
NAMI is the nation's largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to improving the lives of individuals and families affected by mental illness through research, education, support and advocacy.
Please follow the link below and check out what NAMI is doing for your community. Do not be afraid to #sayitoutloud